Besides having good results, Universities and employers look for people who have developed a wide range of life skills. That’s why you may have had the opportunity to do work experience at high school. At Parrs Wood Sixth Form we go one step further and give every Year 12 student the opportunity to be involved in a meaningful Leadership project, where you learn to work with other students, adults or even local businesses and Universities.
We offer a range of leadership experiences such as:
• Heart Start Course – A unique opportunity to train as a first aid instructor and teach the Heart Start course to younger students working as part of a team with Medics from Manchester Royal Infirmary.
• Student Voice – This year the team have researched student views on a range of issues from recycling to study facilities. They have also worked with the management team to design improvements to the buildings facilities worth thousands of pounds.
• The C02 energy team work to reduce the school’s Carbon footprint. This year they have negotiated a new recycling contract which has also saved the school money, and they have worked with professional engineering companies to design a new computer-controlled building management system worth thousands of pounds.
• Subject Mentoring – A great opportunity to improve your own subject knowledge and study skills by actually teaching younger students. There’s no better way to learn something than to teach it. Learn psychological techniques to increase motivation and boost memory.
• Sport leadership – Develop your skills by coaching younger students. You do not have to be a sports super star to take part as your own skills are developed during the course.
• Zumba – Dance your way to fitness and have fun teaching all the moves to younger students at the same time!
The great thing about all these Leadership roles is they support your academic studies and at the same time you’ll learn important skills, increase your confidence and make new friends.
Sixth Form Student Leadership